Monday, June 23, 2008

One step for Meggie One giant leap for the Garcia's! :)

So yesterday I started thinking about moving to Seattle. How much I look forward to moving there and walking around the city. Drinking coffee at all the different coffee houses and absorbing all the art and culture that makes it such a unique city.

Seattle...The Emerald City...Le sigh. I have been to that wonderful place more often than I can count. I spent an entire summer there when I was 16. I can't even remember the first time I went out there. I can however tell you how I have always felt at home and felt truly at ease. Whenever I go on a trip out there to visit family, as happy as I am, I immediately get sad because I know that in a few precious days I will have to leave.

When I was 23 I had the chance to move there. My brother had been living out there for a few years and had been working for a company that he was really happy with. A job opened up and I flew out for an interview. My brother drove me around and introduced me to his notorious best friend Michael Howard. I had a nice weekend hanging out with my brother seeing the Seattle that you only can see if you live out there or know someone who lives out there.

I got the job. I got back on the plane. I said to my brother " I will see you in a week." I never went back. I freaked out and had an anxiety attack. I was scared of leaving my family. As miserable as I was and as much as I hated this town. I couldn't leave my parents.

I have looked back and kicked myself many many many times. Sure things happen for a reason. Less than a year after I would've moved out there the company was bought out by another cell phone company. I would've been jobless, freaking out about possibly being evicted and my parents wouldn't have been just a few miles away. Most importantly I would've never got engaged to David.

Now last year my brother got married. I went out for a week to attend the wedding. The combination of that and two of my favorite shows (Frasier and Grey's) awakened in me my desire to go to the place I belong.

Before I wanted to move to New York; before San Diego; even before Europe, there was Seattle. The beautiful skyline, the fresh air, the melting pot of cultures...just every single thing about that place I love. I do things I would've never done before. I've been skiing, hiking, and on a boat. Yes on a boat. Me the girl who gets seasick when the water in the glass sloshes.

So David and I decided that we wanted to move to someplace new. Get a fresh start as a married couple. This town has nothing left to offer us. Seattle will obviously never come to us. We have to go to it. I decided to take a leap. Karla (my sister in law) works at the call center for TMobile. I filled out an application yesterday. Today when I came home there was an email with an assessment test to take. After the math and the simulated calls and testing my efficiency in Microsoft based programs, I was told that I would hear back in 48 hours what the next course of action would be.

Luckily when you fill out the application it ask when you would be available so I chose 7-12 months. Our lease in our apartment is up in April and I just want to pack everything up and on April 1st, 2009 head on out west like the pioneers before us.

It will be hard to leave the good friends that I've made here. It will be difficult to leave my parents. Besides Santa Barbara and Santa Mel will be out there in a few years. Honestly though with David and I getting married; I just feel like moving and saying goodbye would close a chapter in our life that is waiting to be closed. I don't want to stand still anymore. I want to live again. Maybe things won't be any different out there than they are here. We won't know until we go. If all else, I can just go walk around Pike Place Market with a cup of coffee in one hand and the love of my life in the other.

1 comment:

Retainer Girl said...

You absolutely should move to Seattle! I wish you all the luck in the world and hope everything works out. Fred Vegas is definitely not a staying-forever kind of place.