Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Turtle Turtle

So...I'm finally getting around to blogging about my sweet baby boy. He's asleep right now so I thought I would take advantage and also try to sneak in a nap. Here's the amazing adventure I've been on for the past week.

On Monday June 29th I was admitted to Mary Washington Hospital to be induced. I took a birthing class and they said try not to let them induce you. I should've listened or not...I'll explain in a bit.

When they induce the give you Pitocin which kicks starts labor, before hand though they give you a hormone to kind of prep you. I forget what it's called. That's the reason you come in the night before. I had heard how Pitocin can make labor much more painful. I wouldn't know about that. Why? The hormone they gave me and I didn't get along, it was the devil! It started contractions. They were sooooo painful and so close together that the damn Lamaze breathing didn't work. I was hysterically sobbing and just about broke David's hand. The Nurse said she had never seen that happen before. She kept giving me a painkiller but it only worked for like twenty minutes and eventually stopped working all together. I threw up I was in so much pain. David made the comment that he had never seen someone fill up a bag so much. Gross!

They decided that my poor body had had enough and removed the hormone which was supposed to hopefully end the contractions. They examed me and after ALL that I was still 1cm dilated like I was when I got examed at 4:30 p.m the night before. It was about 3:30 a.m. I was beat and worn out and still sobbing because the contractions would not stop. David felt helpless because there was nothing I could do and was quiet the whole time.

Since I had had such a strong reaction the Doctor on call okayed me for an epidural which is unheard of at 1 cm. I had wanted a complete natural birth but had said that I'm no fool and no when to throw in the towel. So I got my epidural which was hard for them to do as I was having contractions every 2 minutes. Epidural...my new best friend!!!!

Because I was all numb and could finally relax they decided to go ahead and give me the pitocin. So at 7 in the morning they put it in my drip. I didn't feel a thing. They said I was having contractions, I couldn't tell you if I was because I felt nothing!!!! I was so exhausted and all I wanted to do was sleep but they kept checking on me and examing me and giving me more pitocin. Breaking my water yada yada yada...Then that's when the trouble started.

They had noticed earlier that Lex's heart rate was dropping. Nothing alarming but they wanted to keep an eye on it. I remained calm because if I stressed out that would only make it worse. That's what David was there for. At about 1:00 p.m on June 30th the Doctor came in and told me words I will never forget. "Your baby's heart rate has dropped down as low as 90. We can do a C section now and you can have a healthy baby or wait but there could be further complications."

That was the single most scary moment of my life but I couldn't think about that. I didn't even ask David what he thought. I told the Doctor "Do it."

David went and got his parents and my parents to come see me before I was taken away. My Mom started crying and I told her not to worry just to pray to Saint Jude (the Patron Saint of Desperate Cases.)

At 1:30 I was wheeled into the O.R. and was prepped for surgery. David came in at 1:45 and at 1:51 Alexander was born. Hearing his little cry was such a surreal moment. They held him up over the little curtain thing and David took a picture then they whisked him away to clean him off. I had a hissy fit on the table because I had had enough! I wanted out. I wanted to take my baby and run away. I was still being put together when this happened. Then I had a crazy attack of the shivers. My teeth were chattering and everything. The anesthesiologist gave me some Demerol and I was all goooooood. David then brought Lex over to me when he was all wrapped up so I could see him. I wanted to hold him soooo badly but I had to wait.

Fast forward to a week later and all I do is stare at him. It's weird because I never knew it was so possible to love someone so much. I love his little happy baby noises. I love when we stare at each other. I love when he falls asleep in my arms. I even love when he wakes me up in the middle of the night. I'm someones Mom now and that's very very peculiar. He's such a cute baby and he's also a very good baby. Except when I change him. He does not like to have his diaper changed. Man does he scream bloody murder! You would think I was beating him.

I've had my staples removed and am still a little sore from the surgery. Sometimes my back aches and I have a dull headache. In the end it was all worth it. The horrible pain was worth it. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

5 comments:

Doll Face said...

I'm glad to hear you're doing better. Good job, mom!!

davidcgarcia.com said...

You're a wonderful mom, Meggie. Now you have to keep me AND a baby in line.

Love you.

girlysmack said...

Ohhhh, Meggie. I am so sorry you had to go through all of that! Our labor/c-section with Sadie sucked ass too, but I just have to say that if you go for a scheduled c-section next time around, it is a cake walk. The whole procedure goes so smoothly, the incision is right where the first one was, and it seems like you are back on your feet much quicker since your body didn't have to go through such trauma.

Reading this post made me remember the early days with Sadie... :) I am so happy for you! What a glorious, incomparable time in your life!

Unknown said...

I was scared about having a c section because I am a total wuss when it comes to pain. However after having had one and seeing that it really wasn't that bad (thanks to painkillers) I'm like bring it on!!!! What I'm really amazed about is how fast my belly has gone down!

Retainer Girl said...

Meggie, you are so brave and amazing. I can't believe what a saint you are! You truly must be the most kind-hearted person I know.

I am so excited and happy for you and David. I know you are an incredible mom. I can't wait to meet Lex!