Sunday, March 21, 2010

An open letter to the President

Dear Mr. President,

Today was not a good day. I am truly saddened by today's events. However today must be a good day for you. Why am I sad? I feel that my voice among thousands of others was completely disregarded.

It is very true that the Health Care Industry needs to be reformed. That's true. This particular subject is very near and dear to me. My brother is a hard worker. He has always worked and saved his money. He was diagnosed as a diabetic when he was 19. Now has he always taken care of himself like he should? Maybe not. But he has always worked really hard and saved his money and been a law abiding citizen. He's had some really bad health issues. No problem because he has insurance. Right? WRONG!!! They found a loophole and now my hard working law abiding (democratic voting) brother is having to pay for all of those medical expenses. Why? So he can live.

So obviously I know that the Healthcare Industry needs to be reformed.

But at what expense? Me? My parents? My 8 month old child? His children that haven't even been thought of?

A trillion dollars! A TRILLION DOLLARS?! I know you have to spend money to make money but A TRILLION DOLLARS? Do you remember 1993 when we were all freaking out because our country had a deficit of four trillion dollars? YOU JUST AGREED TO SPEND A QUARTER OF THAT!!!

I didn't vote for you. I must say I stand by that decision. You lied to all of us. You lied to every one of my friends who voted for you. You promised to unite the parties. You promised to be a centrist. You made a lot of promises. You sir are the most liberal of all Presidents that there ever was. You have divided an already divided country.

It's not even that you made a whole bunch of promises that you couldn't keep. It's that you made promises with no intention what so ever of doing them. You did the exact opposite.

I have a husband and a child. My husband works full time and I stay at home to take care of my son. We don't live outside our means. We have a strict budget that we have to adhere to. Diapers and formula and baby food aren't cheap. We don't even go to the movies because they are so expensive. We don't even have cars that were made in this century. We try to save what little pennies we have because we want to buy a home of our own. Nothing over the top. Just a nice townhouse. Our dream is to buy two new (actually used) cars and a house in three years. However tonight I feel as though our little American Dream just got crushed. Why? Taxes. You can't squeeze blood from a turnip. It's gotta come from somewhere? Guess that means us.

However time will tell. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it won't be as bad as I think. One thing you can't take away from me is hope. Although I'm sure there will be a tax on that too.

Sincerely,
Me


No comments: