Monday, November 9, 2009

Life is Good. Life is GREAT.

So I'm not one to talk about physical things. Unless it's something silly like my back. I for one can not stand when people go into great detail about body stuff. Especially if they go on about womanly issues. It makes me ill!

However I feel I should share something with you. In hopes that it will make you all more aware of how important it is to go to a Doctor. ANNUALLY!

When I was pregnant with Lex at my first appointment with the lady doctor they did the usual annual exam. My results came back as being abnormal.

I was suppossed to follow up with that but I never did. Until like the last month of my pregnancy.

I had to see a different OB because my Midwife was out of town. He looked through my file and noticed the results. He ordered me to do a series of tests and to come see him for another exam. I did and he said that he would have to do a more invasive exam after I delivered.

I made the appointment but never went. Shame on me.

I was watching a show and they discussed cervical cancer. They started talking about the tests that are done to determine if it's cancer. I realized then that those were the same tests that they had been doing on me.

I was scared and started crying. Not because I was afraid of dying. But because I was mad at myself for taking this so lightly. I'm a wife and a mother now. It's not just me anymore. I have too much to do here and too many people to care about.

So I immediatly scheduled an appointment but had to wait like 3 weeks to be seen.

I went in today. All clear! No scary "C" word for me. However...those abnormal cells are some cause of concern. I now have to make an appointment with the Dr. every six months for the next few years, since those abnormal cells can turn into the scary "C" word.

It was a small thing but it scared me straight and not take my health for granted.

1 comment:

Retainer Girl said...

I'm so glad you got good news. I had a similar situation a few years ago, and it was shocking to discover how for granted I took my health. Now I never miss annual checkups or followup appointments.